Tuesday, September 21, 2010

TWITTER QUEEN NO MORE!

Over the weekend, one of my friends and I had an epic debate over the usefulness of social media i.e. facebook and twitter (I know I lead such an exciting life).

My friend is “anti-social media” (wha???) because he contends that the presence of entities such as Facebook and Twitter detract from authentic relationships. According to him, social media creates superficial links because 1. people don’t bother to call or text since communication takes place via FB and 2. you only get to know a person on the surface and in terms of what they choose to tell you--the information they share, pictures they post, and status updates are all up to them.

I, however, assert that FB/Twitter create seamless “community” with no boundaries -- communication that transcends limitations of place, time and distance. But more importantly, social media, when used effectively, ENHANCES friendship; it adds another dimension to already existing relationships. Like most people I know, Facebook has helped me connect with long lost friends. But Facebook has also helped me become better friends with those who were already in my life.

And my Twitter followers know me in a completely different way than FB even. I share parts of myself with my twitterverse in ways that are personal yet not invasive. And if I ever met half the people I connect with on Twitter in real life, I would feel an instant bond. So for me, these forms of social media definitely improve my existing (and potential) relationships.

But still I couldn’t stop thinking about what my friend said. Maybe he really had a point?! And as much as my social-media-lovin-self hates to admit it, his arguments were definitely valid.

Does social media facilitate performance communication --communicating just for the sake of communication?

So. In true “inquiring minds want to know” style, I had decided to take on a social experiment. For the next month, I have decided to give up Facebook and (no don’t do it! no don’t say it!) TWITTER. Sigh.

I know giving up FB will be no big deal--I’ve removed my wall, access to all photos, and posts--but Twitter is definitely another case. Twitter is my catharsis and my mood ring. It is also how I feel connected to the media and news at all times. But I guess I’ll just dig deep and find a way to exist like we all did during the "preTwitter er
a." And maybeeee I’ll even write down all my “tweets” in you know like a journal or something.

I guess the point of all this, and there is a point, is to really determine how social media impacts my relationships with real people. Will I feel closer to those I see everyday and be more apt to shoot a text or EVEN pick up the phone? Or I will I feel that a certain camaraderie is missing because one aspect of our relationship is no longer there? 


I also want to examine how I personally use social media. Do I indulge in “over sharing” (like ahem some people I know) or am I still full of intrigue and mystery like I love to think I am? I dunno, but I’m about to find out.
So for the last time this month, #tweetdreams to you all! Wish me luck :)

Ps-I will still blog because I mean I HAVE to chart my progress somehow!

3 comments:

  1. Soooo this was one of my MCAT essay prompts. Social networking websites contribute to a false sense of community.. I had to prove and disprove. I used the same rationale as you - they only create a false sense if they are a substitute for real life relationships. But if they are an addition, they only enhance the sense of community : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to see what you come up with!

    Just a thought I had while reading your post...I think fb is the adult version of an imaginary friend. You see these "friends" when you want, how you want, and as often as you want on your own terms just like an imaginary friend.

    I don't think facebook enhances my existing friendships because I rarely go to my good friends' profiles, because I already know what's going on in their lives. The pictures they post, I'm in them- because I was there, the comments people write on their walls, I know- because my friends will discuss it with me, their status updates are thought that they have/ will share with me. So really it doesn't add anything to my existing close friendships.

    What it does for me is create this cyber bond between me and acquaintances. I learn information about them that I probably wouldn't even find out in a conversation with them. But what is even worse is that after feeling so connected with the person online (via face chat/ walls/ inbox msgs) when I actually see the person in real life- I can not connect that the person in front of me is the same cyber friend of mine. Its hard to connect the conversations, the stories and information exchanged, and the online personality to the real person (who many many times has a completely different personality in real life). Hence I create these imaginary friends and imaginary relationships- Adult version of the imaginary friend.

    I know I was with you when you wrote this blog, I coulda talked about it then...but it didnt occur to me until I read your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i heart you both. thank you for making me feel like my "experiment" is totally normal.

    Sam--I love the way you think, and I'm glad you are my real (and not imaginary) friend. I do think that your argument is exclusive to people a small group of people. Most people in life don't take the time you do to cultivate relationships and so for them, the imaginary friend works ;) Basically you are cooler than everyone else. But we already knew this ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete